About Emanuel United Methodist:
Our history goes back to May 7, 1840, when a missionary from Pennsylvania came to Baltimore. He preached on street corners, and in homes, and had receptive audiences that contributed money to rent a small vacant church building. It soon became too small, and a larger building was purchased.
The congregation soon outgrew the building and in February of 1841, a lot was purchased at Eutaw and Camden Streets, and a church was built. The name, Emanuel Church of the Evangelical Station was adopted. A fire from a nearby lumberyard destroyed the church on December 14, 1851. The congregation made plans to rebuild, and hand made considerable progress on the foundation, when the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad purchased the property for $9,000.
A location was found on Greene Street, and a new church was dedicated in 1853. The Greene Street Church, as it was fondly called, prospered and reached its peak at the turn of the century.
In 1921, it made plans to relocate, and a lot was purchased at West Baltimore Street and Franklintown Road. A chapel was built, and then an undercroft structure (or Basement) was built. A church sanctuary on top would be added at a later time.
After a few years, the existing debt was eliminated and a building fund started for the new structure. During this time, the Evangelical Church merged with the United Brethern in Christ Denomination, and became the Emanuel Evangelical United Denomination, and became the Emanuel Evangelical United Brethren.
After 25 years of serving the community, it was decided to relocate instead of building on the same site. Our present location was purchased and our church was built, and dedicated December 14, 1952, exactly one hundred years after the first church was destroyed by fire.
Another change took place in 1968, with the merger of the Evangelical United Brethren and the Methodist Denomination. Now we are the Emanuel United Methodist Church.